Theater Teaching Artist
Under the supervision of the Director of Programs and Program Coordinator, the Dance Teaching Artist is responsible for the planning, organization and implementation of high quality Dance activities for Casita Maria’s High School students. Teaching Artists serve as role models with high expectations for youth. The candidate will have superior interpersonal skills. S/he will be superb at follow-through, as well as adept at managing a multitude of details. S/he will be a dynamic self starter who will be creative in the classroom, constantly engaging youth in dance related activities.
Responsibilities specific to Theater/Drama
The main responsibility of the dance teacher will be to introduce participants to all aspects and variations to dance and wellness, including but not limited to yoga and cultural dance. The teaching artist is also encouraged to to guide participants towards a mid-year and an end-of-year productions. Strong classroom management skills are a must, as well as a passion for and dedication to overall youth wellness. Potential candidates should posses experience in professional dance setting, preferably with high school students.
Responsibilities for all positions include:
- Develop dance lesson plans instruction for high school student participants
- Ability to teach in a hands-on, experiential learning style and inspire students to reach for higher-level outcomes
- Maintain a structured environment in the classroom that is conducive to learning
- Introduce students to different dance and physical wellness techniques such as yoga and meditation.
- Maintain a clean and well organized work space
- Maintain clear safety protocols as per the design of the program
- Perform additional tasks as per the Program Coordinator
- The ideal candidate will possess a Master's degree in dance or related field with two years of teaching experience or a Bachelor's Degree with four years of experience
- Excellent literacy content background and excellent written and communication skills
- Eager to work in a fast-paced, arts and education-focused environment
- Ability to adapt to the specialized instructional school environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Ability to work collaboratively, quickly and under pressure – with a sense of humor
- Highly motivated, detail oriented, ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Integrity, professional discretion and professionalism
- Enjoy working with high school students with an understanding of youth development
- Experience working with the Department of Youth and Community Development a plus but not necessary
- Successful candidates will need to pass New York State background check, Department of Health fingerprinting and medical examination.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and place "Dance Teaching Artist" within the subject line.