Reporting to the Associate Directors, the Education Specialist will have a pivotal role in providing staff development and training to the line staff in the Casita Educational programs. The Education Specialist will create and implement lesson plans for the after-school program in accordance with STEM/STEAM requirements. The Education Specialist will play a major role in evaluating the group leaders, programs aides, and teaching artists to ensure that the quality of work in the classrooms are at excellent standards.
They will have superior interpersonal skills. They will be superb at follow-through, as well as STEM/STEAM knowledgeable and adept at managing a multitude of details. They will be a dynamic self-starter who will help lead Casita Maria in becoming an innovator in after-school education.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develops and maintains lesson plans in accordance with STEAM and Creative Youth Development Framework.
- Conducts evaluations of classrooms and the staff that provide the instruction.
- Provides individualized and group instruction in academic content areas.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with schools, teachers, and parents.
- Meet with Program Staff bi-weekly to review lesson plans.
- Meet with Program Coordinator to develop monthly lesson plans for special activities and award recognition for students.
- Train and provide professional development to the group leaders and program aides in order to ensure effective and quality classroom instruction.
- Candidate must be available 5 days a week for 40 hours weekly.
Qualifications and Skills
- Masters in Education degree and 3-5 years experience (including managerial experience and teaching experience in NYC public schools); Bilingual: Spanish/English preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Enjoy working with children with an understanding of youth development
- Demonstrated experience working with K-12 students
- Strong teaching and group facilitation skills
- Have strong organizational skills and a flexible attitude
- Eager to work in a fast-paced, arts and education-focused environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Ability to work collaboratively, quickly and under pressure with a sense of humor
- Highly motivated, detail oriented, ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks
- Integrity, professional discretion and professionalism
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Works in an office and classroom environment
- Frequently stands for long periods of time
- Frequently speaks, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard
- May require occasional sitting, walking, lifting, stooping, and bending
- May require walking up flights of stairs
- Medical insurance
- Vacation days
- Eleven holidays
- Twelve sick days
- A Pension Plan
- A 403(b) Retirement Plan
- A pre-tax healthcare flexible spending account and pre-tax commuter benefits.
Please send your resume with Education Specialist in the subject line to email@example.com